ST. JOHN’S (December 7, 2010) – The highly anticipated 10th Anniversary Targa Newfoundland has attracted a record pre-entry with nine months still to go before the start of the annual motorsport classic, organizers have announced.
When a special offer to returning competitors concluded last week, more than 50 entries had already been received, organizers said, with more entries arriving daily.
“The entry list so far includes a lot of familiar names of great competitors from the first nine years of Targa,” said rally organizer Robert Giannou. “But there are also some new names – people attracted to the 10th Anniversary of a great event who want to be here for the celebration.”
“The Targa office has reached out around the world to competitors from 10 countries to invite them to our anniversary and the response has been amazing,” Giannou added.
While he won’t predict the total number of competitors that will take the start on the St. John’s waterfront next September, Giannou won’t be surprised to see the largest field in Targa history lined up for the flag.
“We have at least two corporate entries so far, including one that’s sure to be a surprise,” said Giannou.
An ‘early bird’ discount rate is in effect for entries received before the end of January.
Competitors have come from Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Holland, England, Ireland, the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, the U.S. and from across Canada for the first nine editions of the nation’s longest and toughest motorsports event.
Owned and operated by Newfoundland International Motorsports Limited, Targa Newfoundland is one of three internationally recognized Targa motorsports events in the world. The 10th annual Targa Newfoundland will start in St. John’s on Saturday, September 10, 2011, and end back in the capital Saturday, September 17. The competition will cover more than 2,000 kilometres of the challenging, twisty roads of the central and eastern portion of Newfoundland, including up to 450 kilometres of closed-road, flat-out Targa stages.